Monday, August 8, 2011

A journeyman's goal


Tried to find a template design but the choices were limited and I was too frustrated to keep trying. Since I love maps and travel, I picked this, a perfect metaphor for this 'way too overused' word selection of a "journey" to begin my weight loss effort. But that is what it is. It IS a journey. And one has to be a journeyman to be successful at losing weight. A journeyman is a "worker who is reliable but not outstanding." I want to eat better and eat less and move more. Nothing outstanding. No marathons or mountains to climb. My personal marathon and personal mountain is my attention to the goal of eating better, eating less, and moving more. I want to be reliable as someone you can depend on to do this. I want to reliably eat healthy. I chose this photo of a vineyard worker because they dutifully perform again and again without complaint, and they are journeymen. To me this is admirable, and I want to apply that attitude to help me reach my goal.

I must make this a personal priority, hence the name of the blog.
I started a blog as a strategy for helping myself stick to my goal of weight loss.
It happens to be my daughter's 17th birthday, a great day to begin making my weight loss a priority since I want to be around a long time for my children, I want to make my family proud of me, and I want to regain some of that youthfulness that makes me more happy. I want to be proud of myself. I want to feel in control. Debra got me back on that scale and told me,"see, now you are in control of that number. It doesn't control you."
So now begins my work, slow and steady, reliable and nothing outstanding. But it seems hard right now. I will try to learn to embrace and accept better habits and hope they will become more standard and less foreign. I wish myself luck.

1 comment: